As a company on the leading edge of design and innovation, it’s no surprise that Venture Snowboards is once again pushing the envelope with the Shape Shack, an experimental division charged with dreaming up new and innovative board shapes.
“Pushing boundaries and trying new things is built into the DNA of snowboarding,” says Klemens Branner, Venture’s founder and design engineer, who is heading up the effort with creative input from big mountain legend Johan Olofsson and select guest shapers. “You never know where a good idea is going to come from, so inviting new perspectives into the mix is a great way to spark the creative process.”
Shape Shack boards are produced in small, limited edition runs and made available to the public through choice retailers and Venture’s online store. For 12/13, the three new Shape Shack designs are limited edition collector's items, with only 25 of each design produced.
What does Branner enjoy most about the Shape Shack? “Of course riding the finished product is the best part! But bringing a new board shape from concept to reality in a short period of time is extremely gratifying. It brings our whole team together, and because we own our own factory we have control over that process from start to finish. We can produce pretty much anything that we can dream up, and then walk out the front door and ride it right here in our backyard. It's an ideal setup for experimentation without boundaries.”
Here's the skinny on the different shapes, available for purchase now through Venture's online store:
Resident Shaper & Graphic Artist: Johan Olofsson
The Powder Pig is the second powder specific shape dreamed up by big mountain legend and pow surfing pioneer Johan Olofsson. Available in a 156 cm length, it has no edges and only two inserts - one near the tip and one near the tail - for attaching a rope. The flat “bat tail,” mellow rocker, and 33 cm width provide uncanny floatation. A true pow surfer’s dream. Say oink as you gorge on the deep stuff!
Guest Shaper: Skylar Holgate, Graphic Artist: Shanna Duncan
The Skylar Special is a big mountain twin designed by infamous Silverton Mountain guide Skylar Holgate. Available in a 160 cm length and 25 cm waist, with a true twin shape that offers greater maneuverability and effortless switch riding. While this deck’s slightly softer flex makes it fun and playful, quadratics still give it plenty of bite and grip for less forgiving conditions.
Guest Shaper: Aaron Brill
The Swallowtail Bomber is a classic swallowtail shape designed by Silverton Mountain’s founder and owner Aaron Brill. Lots of length for charging big lines and an elongated rocker profile for effortless float in the deep stuff. 180 cm length and 26 cm width. Go big or go home.
Photo above, from left to right: Powder Pig, Skylar Special, Swallowtail Bomber
The House passed the American Clean Energy and Security Act a few months ago and legislation is currently in the hands of the Senate. While the details of the Senate bill haven’t been ironed out yet, the fight may come down to a few undecided votes - and our collective voice could help tip the scales.
A strong US climate policy will help protect small businesses, jobs and the vitality of our unique mountain communities that draw millions of tourists each year.
The Protect Our Winters “Sixty Days” website offers an overview of the issues at stake, shows the current voting position of each Senator, and gives you an easy way to send an e-letter telling Senators why passing strong climate legislation is crucial to the economic and cultural well being of mountain communities.
If this issue matters to you, please take the time to send a note to your Senator letting them know you want them to support strong climate legislation this Spring. Make your voice heard!
Design your own snowboard graphic and help the environment too!
In cooperation with the nonprofit environmental group Protect Our Winters (POW), Venture Snowboards is sponsoring a board graphics competition centered on increasing awareness of the global warming crisis.
Any medium goes – photography, paintings, pencil sketches, you name it – as long as the artwork incorporates the themes of winter, the environment, and activism. So get creative and speak out for the environment!
Entries will be accepted through January 1, 2010, when a panel of judges will select the top ten submissions.The ten winners of this first level competition will receive t-shirts and swag as prizes, and be entered into a second round of judging open to the general public.The winning design will be incorporated into a run of special edition POW boards for winter 2010/2011.The grand prize winner will receive a brand spanking new POW deck emblazoned with their artwork.
Here's the nitty gritty on the competition:
- Submissions are limited to one entry per person.
- Submissions must be received by January 1, 2010.
- Results of the first tier competition will be posted on the Venture and POW websites in mid January 2010.
- Open voting will take place from mid January through late February 2010.
- First tier winners will receive t-shirts and other swag as prizes.
- Second tier winner will be announced in early March 2010.
- Second tier winner will receive a new Venture/POW snowboard.
- Only original artwork will be accepted.
- Employees of Venture Snowboards and POW are ineligible.
- No purchase is necessary.
- This contest is void where prohibited.
- By entering the contest, entrant grants Venture Snowboards and POW perpetual, nonexclusive rights to the artwork.
- Entries will be judged by a panel selected by Venture Snowboards and POW and all decisions are final.
HOW TO ENTER:
Venture and POW logos are available for use in your design. See links at the bottom of this post.
- Electronic submissions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the words "POW Contest" in the subject line.
- Please submit electronic entries as jpg files, no larger than 2 MB.
- Please name your file using the following convention: POW_ yourfirstname_yourlastname.jpg
- Include the following information in the body of your email: Full name, daytime and evening phone numbers, mailing address, email address, title of artwork.
- Electronic entries must be received no later than January 1, 2010.
- Incomplete or late entries will not be judged.
Mail In Submissions
- Submissions by mail should be sent to: Venture Snowboards, Attn: POW Contest, PO Box 547, Silverton, CO 81433.
- Include the following information with your entry: Full name, daytime and evening phone numbers, mailing address, email address, title of artwork.
- Mail in entries must be received no later than January 1, 2010.
- Incomplete or late entries will not be judged.
Venture - Vertical EPS
Venture - Vertical PDF
Venture - Horizontal EPS
Venture - Horizontal PDF
POW - Vertical EPS
POW - Vertical PDF
POW - Horizontal EPS
POW - Horizontal PDF
Venture Snowboards is proud to announce a partnership with Protect Our Winters.
Protect Our Winters (POW) is a non-profit environmental organization formed in 2007 by professional snowboarder Jeremy Jones. The organization’s mission is to reverse the global warming crisis by uniting and mobilizing the winter sports community to have a direct and positive impact on climate change.
For the winter 2009/2010 season, Venture will emblazon all its Euphoria powder boards – both solid and split – with the POW logo, and donate a portion of sales from these boards to POW. Get a POW board under foot today, and help ensure there's pow for the next generation of riders!
Check out the POW Euphoria board here.